I am thankful for summer, you know, but this week has been a bit insane. 30°C or more every day – I am so glad I don’t have to work and can just spend all day sitting either on the terrace or in the living room to cool off every once in a while. While I have made a lot of progress on the book I’m reading at the moment, I have not just been relaxing. A few days ago, I actually started my Masters project! With so much time off during summer and a very busy semester following that, I thought it would be good to get a bit of a head start on my project on trait evolution in a family of beach snails. If there’s interest, I could explain in a bit more detail what I’m planning to do in a separate post!
Back to the recipe though: I seem to remember all the things I don’t have time to do during university when I’m home, so even my “relaxation days” seem full of stuff and pass quickly. This oatmeal comes in handy then because it takes so little time to prepare and is full of energy. I bought these dark-red cherries from a local farm and they are so delicious! Lots of fruits are finally in season now and cherries are a summer favourite of mine. They always remind me of climbing the neighbour’s tree and eating cherries straight from the tree. Unfortunately, this tree had to be cut down a few years ago, but these local cherries make a good reminder of old times.
Somehow this oatmeal gives off a bit off a retro vibe to me, too, I’m not really sure why. I just know it is perfect for breakfast on summer mornings when it’s not quite too hot yet and the sun is only slowly making its way overhead. I topped it off with some more cherry halves ’cause they are so good, granola for a bit of a crunch, chia seeds for omega 3s and a drizzle of almond butter for some protein and just because it’s delicious. But feel free to pick your choice of toppings, lots of things such as almonds or cocoa nibs would also work really well. Making oatmeal can sometimes seem a bit intimidating, but it is actually so easy and quick. I really hope you give this a go and let me know if you like it. Until next time!
Cherry & Vanilla Oatmeal
- 1 cup soy milk or other milk of choice
- 1/2 cup oats ~ 50g
- 1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 cherries
- maple syrup to taste
- toppings cherries, chia seeds, almond butter, granola, almonds, cocoa nibs, etc.
- Bring milk to a low boil in a saucepan on medium heat. While milk is heating up, measure the oats and cut cherries into quarters to remove the pit.
- When milk is boiling, reduce heat to low-medium and stir in the oats, vanilla extract and cherries. Leave to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add maple syrup until desired level of sweetness and pour into a bowl. Decorate with toppings of your choice and enjoy!