Even though 2019 is already in full swing, I would still like to say welcome! May it be a year full of personal growth and happiness! 🤗 In the spirit of new beginnings, the first recipe for this year is a breakfast! This Spiced Apple Breakfast Quinoa combines the reliable apple-cinnamon combo with a new base. And what is a new year without a few experiments?!
On that note, I just found this random post online about perfectionism and how it actually keeps you from moving forward. Without getting like fake deep or pretentious here, I feel that it applies a lot to me and to this blog. I always want to upload the best I can but worry so much it’s not good enough that I avoid posting entirely. I have lots of recipe notes saved on my phone and even some decent pictures, but I avoid committing to editing and uploading. And with that I don’t give myself the chance to practise and improve, which makes me more anxious about posting. In short, I’m just standing in my own way and it sucks!
So for this year, I want to embrace the process and actually enjoy practising. I want to produce quality content but maybe I can allow some more imperfections. “After all, you can’t steer a parked car.”
Spiced Apple Breakfast Quinoa (v, gf)
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/8 tsp allspice & cloves each
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp agave syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup plant drink
- 1 tbsp almond butter or tahini
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and drain through a sieve. Transfer to a pot and add 1 cup of water, as well as the allspice, cloves and 1/8 tsp cinnamon. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for around 5 min on a medium-low heat. Remove the lid and simmer for another 5 min or until the grains are soft and the water has evaporated.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cut the apple into bite size pieces (no need to peel but you can if you prefer). In a pot, stew the apples with the agave syrup and the remaining 1/8 tsp cinnamon over medium heat until caramelised and soft.
- When the apples are cooked, add them to a blender with the plant drink, almond butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice and blend until smooth (you may want to reserve some apples as toppings).
- When the quinoa is done, pour in the “sauce” and mix well. Serve and enjoy!
If you like this, also check out my other breakfast recipes:
This Two Autumn-Inspired Oatmeals for warming winter inspiration or
this Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie Bowl if it’s currently hot where you are!
Finally, I hope you all started well into the new year and wish you all the best! Thanks for sticking with me.
Until next time 👋