I know I’m really late to the pumpkin party, but I really want to post one last pumpkin recipe because these huge orange wonders are still in season and because they’re just really good, so fight me ?♀️ Also this pumpkin mushroom pasta is so easy, yet delicious and satisfying that it really deserves a post this year before we descend into all-gingerbread-everything hell!
Apart from pumpkin and mushrooms to make this dish so delicious, I like to add a good source of protein to all my meals, so the second ingredient of the pasta sauce are white beans. They also make it really nice and smooth and don’t really have a strong taste (if anything they provide a pleasant earth-y flavour that goes well with the mushrooms). And if that’s all it takes to help hit those daily amino acid and general protein goals, I’d consider it a win! Feel free to replace them with the same amount of red lentils if that’s what you prefer or what you have!
Pumpkin Mushroom Pasta (v)
for the pasta:
- 80 g whole-wheat pasta
- 4 stalks kale
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 mushrooms add more if they are small
for the sauce:
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree I used roasted Hokkaido squash
- 1/2 can white beans ~1 cup
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable broth or pasta water
- salt and pepper
- Boil the pasta according to package instrutions. Around 5 minutes before its done, destem the kale and add it to the pasta. When its ready, take the pasta and kale off the heat and cover.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and slice the onion, garlic and mushrooms. When the oil is hot, start by frying the onions for a few minutes until they turn transluscent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook on medium heat until softened. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the sauce simply by putting the pumpkin, white beans and nutrional yeast in a blender. Blend while slowly adding vegetable broth/pasta water until sauce-like consistency.
- Once all components are ready, drain the pasta and kale and pour over the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper before transferring to a plate and adding the mushrooms and onion mixture. Enjoy!
As always, hope you’re all doing well and if you made this recipe tage me on instagram @fossilsandfusilli!
Until next time ?