Do you guys like peanut butter? What a question, who doesn’t like peanut butter?! It is just so good in both sweet and savoury foods, I can’t imagine not having peanut butter in the house. PB and jam toasts are a staple breakfast for me, peanut butter with bananas is a great sweet snack and peanut sauce is amazing in Asian-style dishes such as stir fry or noodles. And not to forget peanut butter cups and peanut butter cookies, oh you can just make so many good things with peanut butter!
So when thinking about what my first post should be, I quickly decided to share these yummy peanut butter tofu noodles with you. I wanted it to be a dish I make quite often, that’s easy and contains ingredients I really like – this ticks all the boxes! I probably have this for dinner once a week because it is so delicious, and I make time to prepare these noodles even during the busiest times of uni (and I’m not going to lie, third year has really been quite stressful!).
But a bit more about the recipe: Although the ingredients list might look a bit intimidating at first, it only really breaks down to tofu, ingredients for the sauce that’s doing double duty as marinade, noodles and veggies. These are all ingredients I would consider staples in my kitchen, but if you don’t have something on hand, you can definitely replace maple syrup with honey (if not vegan), peanut butter with any other nut butter and chili flakes with actual chilies. This recipe also works with most vegetables, so feel free to replace my suggestions with any vegetables you prefer or already have in the house.
I hope you try this and let me know if it works out in the comments! I’m very new to this and would appreciate a follow if you would like to see more of my recipes (I promise I will get a better camera soon!). Until next time!
Peanut Butter Tofu Noodles
- 1/4 block tofu ~100 g
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil + more for cooking
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/4 courgette/zucchini
- 1/4 head of broccoli
- nooddles ready-to-wok or prepared according to package
- 2 handfuls spinach
- salt and pepper
- some water
- chia seeds/sesame seeds/peanuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wrap the tofu in a sheet of kitchen roll and press onto a chopping board. Unwrap and cut into small cubes. Wipe a little oil on a baking tray and distribute the tofu cubes evenly. Bake for 20 min.
- While the tofu is in the oven, prepare the sauce. Stir together the oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, peanut butter and chili flakes and leave on the side.
- Prepare the vegetables by chopping the onion and cutting the carrot and courgette into very thin strips. The broccoli pieces should be cut quite small, too.
- Once the tofu is done, add it to the marinade while cooking the vegetables.
- Heat up a little oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook the onions until they become slightly translucent, about 2 min. Add the rest of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Add the noodles and mix. Pour some water into the pan and leave to steam under a lid for a few minutes until the vegetables have reached the desired crunchiness.
- Move the noddles and veggies to one side of the pan, add the spinach on top and place the tofu without the marinade on the other half of the pan. Cover again and let the marinade bake onto the tofu cubes for a minute or 2.
- Remove the lid and mix the tofu and spinach under the noddles. Turn off the heat and add the rest of the marinade to the pan. Let it bubble up for a few seconds and stir through the noodles and tofu until everything is well coated.
- Sprinkle with chia/sesame seeds or peanuts if desired and enjoy!