Is anyone even still here? It has been SO LONG since I lasted posted and all that just because final year is the most stressful thing I’ve ever done. I had so many reports to write last semester and two exams in January and then went straight into 3 months of just working on my Master’s thesis all day every day 😪 But I finally handed my dissertation titled “A Phylogenetic Study of Traits and Character Evolution in periwinkles (Gastropoda: Littorininae)” in last week and took a few days off to let the sun awaken the human in me again. And that also meant that I remembered this blog exists and that I really enjoy sharing recipes. So I gave this blog a long-planned make-over (do you like it?), set up a Pinterest page and started editing ancient drafts.
And one of the recipes that I didn’t get around to properly writing up was this delicious smoothie bowl. I actually came up with this recipe in winter/early spring, but it seems even more appropriate now that it is finally sunny and warm (26°C the other day – IN ENGLAND!!). I’ve actually come around to liking smoothie bowls and using frozen vegetables, such as cauliflower or -like here- sweet potato, after thinking that it was a bit weird for quite a while. If you are still sceptical, I would definitely recommend starting out with a vegetable with a subtly sweet flavour like sweet potato. They are pretty amazing in anything you make with them (I gush about them in one of the very early posts 😂) and lend the same sweetness and creaminess to a smoothie as frozen bananas would! And, let’s be honest, adding peanut butter and cocoa powder will make most things taste amazing. Plus some silken tofu and you have a filling, decadent-tasting bowl perfect for breakfast or a just a snack!
I hope you enjoy this recipe, definitely tag me on Instagram if you do! I have like 10 recipes as notes on my phone, so stay tuned for more posts soon. Until then I hope you have a fantastic start into the summer! ❤️
Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl (v, gf)
- 1 cup steamed/roasted and frozen sweet potato ~1/2 medium potato
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk of choice I use unsweetened soy milk
- 1/3 pack firm silken tofu ~100g
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- toppings of your choice e.g. banana slices, chopped nuts, cacao nibs, ... optional
- Place the sweet potato pieces, tofu, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and half of the milk in a blender or food processor and blend on medium. Slowly add more milk until you reach your desired level of thickness and blend on high until everything is mixed well. Depending on blender power and preference you might have to add some more milk or scrape down the sides a few times.
- Pour into a bowl and top with whatever you like. I love sliced banana, chopped nuts and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
Pin this recipe here 😊