It has been a while since I lasted posted just because final year is the most stressful thing ever. I had so many reports to write last semester and two exams in January. And then I immediatly embarked on 3 months of just working on my Master’s thesis every day 😪. But I finally handed my dissertation in last week! I took a few days off to awaken the human in me again, remembered this blog exists and that I really enjoy sharing recipes. So I gave this blog a long-planned make-over, set up a Pinterest page and started editing ancient drafts, like this delicious chocolate smoothie bowl with sweet potato.
I actually came up with this recipe in winter/early spring, but it seems more appropriate now that it is finally sunny and warm (26°C IN ENGLAND!!). I’ve actually come around to liking smoothie bowls and using frozen vegetables, such as cauliflower or – like here – sweet potato. I used to think it was a bit weird for quite a while 😃. If you are still sceptical, I would definitely recommend starting out with a subtly sweet vegetable like sweet potato. They are pretty amazing in anything and lend the same sweetness and creaminess to a smoothie as frozen bananas would! And, let’s be honest, adding peanut butter and cocoa powder will make most things taste amazing. Add some silken tofu and you have a filling, decadent-tasting chocolate smoothie bowl perfect for breakfast or a just a snack!
Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl (v, gf)
- 1 cup steamed/roasted and frozen sweet potato ~1/2 medium potato
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup plant milk I use unsweetened soy milk
- 1/3 pack firm silken tofu ~100g
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- toppings of your choice e.g. banana slices, chopped nuts, cacao nibs, … optional
- Place the sweet potato pieces, tofu, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and half of the milk in a blender or food processor and blend on medium. Slowly add more milk until you reach your desired level of thickness and blend on high until everything is mixed well. Depending on blender power and preference you might have to add some more milk or scrape down the sides a few times.
- Pour into a bowl and top with whatever you like. I love sliced banana, chopped nuts and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
Until then I hope you have a fantastic start into the summer! ❤️