How are is everyone doing? Good, I hope? I’ve had such a great weekend. Summer has finally arrived and I had a lovely time visiting an old school friend. The recipe might be a slight contrast to this warm weather, but it can easily serve as dinner for summer nights when you would rather stay out doing something fun. This pasta dish is so delicious and comes together in just one pan! How good is that?!
This is again not one of the prettiest meals around, but isn’t all comfort food a little messy? That’s part of it’s charm in my opinion. It looks homely and reminds me that good things don’t always have to look perfect. In a way most pasta dishes are a little like that. I grew up with a lot of pasta and they always feel a little like home.
One-Pot Lentil Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 courgette/zucchini
- 1/4 aubergine/eggplant
- 1 large garlic clove
- oil to cook
- salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup red lentils dry
- 1/2 carton tomato passata ~ 250g
- 80 g Penne pasta
- 1/2 cup water/vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp oregano & basil dried
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Chop the onion, courgettes and aubergine into small pieces. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot, add vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook the vegetables on medium-high heat until beginning to soften, this should not take longer than 5 min.
- Cut up the garlic and add to the pan. Tip the lentils into the pan and immediately add the passata. Stir to combine and cover to simmer for 5 min.
- Add the pasta and stir in the water or vegetable stock. Season with oregano and basil. Cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 min or until the lentils and pasta are cooked, but still have a little bite. Check every 5 minutes or so and add water if necessary to prevent the pasta from drying out.
- When the pasta and lentils are cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the spinach. Serve and enjoy!