I’m generally a lover of potatoes, but sweet potatoes are one of my favourite things ever (sweet potato fries are definitely the best type of fries, I’ll fight you on this)! Their sweetness is such a nice addition to spicy and savoury dishes, such as currys and chilis, and roasting them makes them perfect for salads and wraps. Apparently cooked sweet potato also makes desserts really fudgy, so I will definitely have to try that and will report back to you! In this salad the sweet potato brings a subtle sweetness which goes perfectly with the crunchiness of the chickpeas and the spicy hummus dressing, coming together for a super easy, delicious lunch.
The other main part of this salad are chickpeas, another staple in my kitchen. They contain lots of protein (9g per 1/2 can!) and are great additions to curries, Moroccan dishes and salads. You can just cook them on the hob or in the microwave, but roasting them in the oven creates a crunchy texture, making for a delicious snack all by themselves.
Enough about the ingredients, let’s focus on putting them all together. As it just uses the oven, you can put the veg in the oven, prepare the dressing and then just go do something else. Then it is literally just about putting the different elements together! Both the spices used for the chickpeas and the hummus for the dressing can be varied according to personal preference, availability or just to mix it up. I personally use store-bought hummus (sweet chili, moroccan or peri peri spice are really nice) but definitely want to start making my own, so feel free to use whatever hummus you have in the house. I would suggest considering the spiciness/flavour of the hummus when deciding on spices to flavour the chickpeas with to ensure they work together. I hope you enjoy making this and until next week!
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad
- 1 medium sweet potato
- oil to drizzle
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- spices I like paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, ginger and oregano
- 2 tbsp hummus home-made or store-bought
- water to thin
- 2 handfuls spinach
- chia seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut into thin slices and lay out on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Tip into a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and season with spices of choice. Carefully shake baking tray to distribute oil and spices and spread chickpeas into single layer.
- Bake sweet potato slices and chickpeas for 20 min.
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are in the oven, prepare the dressing. In a bowl, combine hummus with water until it is pourable. Leave on the side.
- To assemble the salad, spread spinach on a plate, place the sweet potato slices on top and distribute the chickpeas. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with chia seeds if desired. Enjoy!