It’s been a tiring but exciting two weeks. I moved flat and was busy Friday till Sunday cleaning the old house, getting all my stuff to the new flat and finding space where to put everything. I never realized how much I have until it all needs to be packed up, I might need to get rid of a few things over the next few weeks. But moving into the new place was and still is really exciting and I am really looking forward to our all-girls flat! To make things even better, summer has returned in the last few days! It has been very sunny and warm, perfect for the first few days in my new home away from home.
But warm temperatures mean of course that the flat gets quite hot and I don’t really feel like eating anything too warm, especially for lunch when it’s the hottest. This salad is perfect for days like these. You only need to put a few things in the oven and prepare some couscous, which leaves plenty of time to go back outside and enjoy the sun, while the food is cooking. This is also really easy to make ahead to take to work, uni, the park or whatever you are doing that day. I really recommend couscous salads for lunch, I pack them all the time in slightly different compositions depending on what I have in the fridge.
Roasted vegetables are one of my favourite things and they work so well with lightly spiced couscous. As with most of my recipes, there is a lot of room for adjustments according to your personal preference. I never really stray away from Mediterranean flavours, but if you find a spice or vegetable combination you really like, I’d love to try it! I only very recently discovered how good roasted chickpeas drizzled with maple syrup taste and I’ve been missing out! The sweetness of the caramelized syrup is a nice counterpoint to the spiciness of the chili powder and the cinnamon in the couscous. These roasted chickpeas on their own also make a delicious, healthy snack that even satisfies some of the sweetness cravings you might have, while being really high in protein! Am I selling this yet? 😀 Hope you enjoy the recipe and until next time!
Couscous Summer Salad with Chickpeas And Roasted Veg
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- 1/4 courgette/zucchini
- 1/3 carrot
- 1/4 aubergine/eggplant
- spices for chickpeas eg. paparika, chili powder
- maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup couscous
- vegetable stock
- spices for couscous cinnamon, paprika, oregano
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 handful spinach
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Tip into a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and season with spices of choice (I like paprika and chili powder). For a little sweetness drizzle some maple syrup as well. Carefully shake baking tray to distribute oil, spices and maple syrup and spread chickpeas into single layer.
- Slice the vegetables and cut into halves. Spread on the baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast chickpeas and vegetables in the oven for 20 min.
- While the veggies are in the oven, prepare the couscous. Add the spices to the couscous and pour over the boiling water. Cover and leave at least 10 min (I just leave it until the veg is ready).
- Take the vegetables out of the oven when they're ready and leave to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, use a spoon or fork to fluff the couscous and distribute the spices evenly. Mix in the vegetables and spinach. Serve and enjoy!